Heather Leavell Keaton Murders 2 Children

Heather Leavell Keaton is a woman from Alabama who was sentenced to death by the State of Alabama for the murders of two children.

Heather Leavell Keaton and her common law partner John DeBlase would murder the first child back in 2010 and would murder the second child four months later

According to police the first child was duct taped, strangled and placed in a closet. The second child was duct taped to a broom and placed in a closet where he suffocated.

The two murdered children would later be buried in the backyard. Apparently the reason for the murders was that the two children had asked Heather Leavell Keaton about their biological murder which enraged the killer who would strike out in anger.

Both John DeBlase and Heather Leavell Keaton would be arrested and convicted of both murders in which they were both sentenced to death.

Heather Leavell Keaton Photos

Heather Leavell Keaton FAQ

Where Is Heather Leavell Keaton Now

Heather Leavell Keaton is currently at TUTWILER DEATH ROW

Heather Leavell Keaton News

Arrest warrants describe the horrific abuse two young children allegedly suffered at the hands of their father and his girlfriend, including stuffing one of the children into a suitcase for 14 hours, before the children were allegedly killed by their dad.

As the grim details surrounding the children’s death surface, police have announced they believe they found the remains of 3-year-old Chase DeBlase, allegedly dumped in the Mississippi woods by his father, John Deblase, in March.


Police are also scouring woods in rural Alabama for the body of 5-year-old Natalie DeBlase, who police allege was killed and discarded by her father in June.

The arrest warrant details bizarre punishments allegedly devised for the children. It charges DeBlase with allowing his girlfriend, Heather Leavell-Keaton, to create a night-long torture for Chase while the parents went to bed.

“Allowing Heather Leavell-Keaton (his girlfriend) to duck-tape the childs hands to the side of his legs, tape a broom handle to his back, placing a sock in his mouth and duck-taping it to his mouth, then making the child stand in a corner all night when they went to bed,” the warrant says.

Police have not yet given a cause of death for Chase or Natalie although they believe the abuse played a major factor.

“We have not determined cause of death,” Assistant District Attorney Joe Beth Murphree told ABC News. “Remains found yesterday and the medical examiner is looking at remains at this time. Even if exact cause cannot be determine we believe homicide can still be proved.”

According to police Natalie was not spared the monstrous abuse doled out by DeBlase and Leavell-Keaton, his girlfriend since 2008.

A separate arrest warrant outlines that DeBlase allegedly allowed Leavell-Keaton to “duck-tape” Natalie’s hands and feet before stuffing her in a suitcase.

“Duck-tape the child’s hands and feet, place a sock in her mouth, place her inside a black suitcase and leave it inside a closet from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m.,” the warrant says.

Jackson County Sheriff Mike Byrd said that Chase’s body was stuffed inside a black garbage bag, wearing only a diaper, by his father close to the road because DeBlase allegedly didn’t want to get lost on his way back to his vehicle.

According to police little Chase DeBlase’s remains stayed hidden there for over six months, and for Mobile Police Officer Chris Levy, that’s one of the most troubling parts of this story.

“The fact for six months a child was dead and nobody reported it. For six months,” Levy said to ABC News today.

Levy said the birth mother and grandparents of the children have been questioned as to why they didn’t report the children missing, and according to him they gave reasons, “no good reasons,” though he said.

Equally as troubling, Levy said detectives later found a number neighbors and associates of DeBlase and Leavell-Keaton who claimed they witnessed the children being abused numerous times.

“We have all these people coming forward now who say they saw them hit the children with objects, they say they saw burns on the children that required medical attention, and nobody called the police. Where were those people a year ago when these children were actually in danger?” Levy said.

DeBlase has been charged with two-counts of murder. He has not yet entered a plea and does not yet have a lawyer. Leavell-Keaton is in jail in Kentucky, arrested on child-abuse charges, may be extradited to Alabama today, Murphree said.

Leavell-Keaton may face more serious charges.

“It’s a very intense investigation going 24/7. If murder charges can be brought, they will be brought,” Murphree said.

Police say DeBlase and Leavell-Keaton, who have an infant daughter together, are blaming each other for killing the children. Their surviving child is currently in protective custody, according to police.

According to police documents, the grisly story came to the attention of police on Nov. 18 when a family member of Leavell-Keaton allegedly told police she feared the children were dead, a report from the Louisville Police Department states.

Police contacted Leavell-Keaton, and began interviewing neighbors of associates of the couple. The report says at that point she requested a restraining order against DeBlase out of fear he may harm their infant daughter.

“I am afraid that he is going to do something to harm our daughter,” the statement says.

“I feel he may have murdered his children because he said that they were nonresponsive,” Leavell-Keaton allegedly told police according to the report.

“Choices were made this morning, and he had to do what he had to do,” Heather Leavell Keaton told police DeBlase said to her, according to the report.

According to police, the couple had moved to Louisville from Mobile several months ago.

Officer Carey Klain of the Louisville Police told ABC News that as they filed Heather Leavell Keaton’s request for a restraining order and took down her report on the children, detectives from Mobile spoke to several people who indicated they witnesses her abuse the children on numerous occasions. At that point Levy said she was arrested on charges of child abuse.

Klain said her department placed Heather Leavell Keaton in custody and the Mobile police triggered a national missing children’s report as they began to try to locate DeBlase and the children.

DeBlase was picked up on Dec. 2 in Florida. According to a report out of the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s office, DeBlase had been staying in Florida with friend Randall Melville since Nov. 30.

Mellville says he received a phone call from an associate who, according to the police report, told Melville he saw a television report about DeBlase being wanted in connection with the disappearance of his children.

“Melville said he asked John about this information which John then got up yelling ‘I didn’t do it,’ and left the residence,” the police report states.

John DeBlase was picked up by police a short time later, and he again allegedly blurted out to the officers, “I didn’t do it,” the report says.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top