Terry Moore Murders Simon Brown In North Carolina

Terry Moore Murders Simon Brown In North Carolina

Terry Moore was sentenced to death by the State of North Carolina for the murder of Simon Brown

According to court documents Terry Moore would rob a grocery store and would stab to death the owner Simon Brown

Terry Moore would be arrested, convicted and sentenced to death

Terry Moore is also known as Jathiyah Al Bayyinah

Terry Moore Photos

terry moore Jathiyah Al Bayyinah

Terry Moore Now

Offender Number:0290634                                          
Inmate Status:ACTIVE
Probation/Parole/Post Release Status:INACTIVE
Birth Date:06/28/1963
Current Location:CENTRAL PRISON

Terry Moore Case

The facts pertinent to our disposition of this case are summarized as follows.   Simon Wilford Brown (Brown) owned a wholesale grocery store at 473 Depot Street in Mocksville, North Carolina, which he operated with the help of his family, including his son, Charles Brown (Charles).   On 6 March 1998, Charles arrived at the store at approximately 7:30 a.m. He entered through the front door and locked it behind him.   About twenty minutes later, he heard his father enter the store.   A short time later, Charles rushed to the front of the store when he heard his father call out for him.   Motioning toward the front door, Brown said a man had stabbed him and had run out the door and to the right.

While Charles gave chase, his father dialed 911 and reported that he had been stabbed in the course of a robbery.   Brown identified the robber as an African American male wearing dark clothing and repeated several times that he thought he recognized the robber as a man who had tried to cash a paycheck in his store the previous day.   When Charles returned to the store, he noticed that his father’s wallet was on the floor and that money was scattered about.   A later inventory of the store and Brown’s wallet revealed that no substantial amount of money or merchandise was missing.   Brown died nine days later, on 15 March 1998.   Forensic pathologist Patrick Eugene Lantz, who performed the autopsy, testified that the cause of death was complications from a stab wound to the chest.

Clarence Melvin Parks testified that he saw an African American male dressed in a dark hooded windbreaker and jeans near Brown’s store shortly after 7:30 a.m. on the morning of 6 March 1998.   Jean Sheets, who was in her car on Depot Street that morning, testified that she saw an African American male dressed in dark clothing near Brown’s store and that a short time later, she saw the man running down the street.   Officer Joey Reynolds of the Mocksville Police Department also spotted defendant near the store on the day of the crime.   Defendant was wearing jeans, a dark blue sweatshirt, black boots, and a black coat.   Reynolds and two other officers pursued defendant into a wooded area and took him into custody.

At trial, the state introduced the testimony of Alexander Splitt, a Mocksville grocery store owner who had been robbed on two separate occasions approximately one month before Brown was stabbed.   Splitt testified that the first robbery occurred on 20 January 1998 at about 6:40 a.m., when he was alone in his store.   A man wearing a dark ski mask and dark clothing ran into the store brandishing a gun and came behind the store counter with Splitt.   Splitt described the robber’s voice and the words he spoke, relating that the robber demanded money and admonished Splitt not to look at him.   Splitt testified that he could tell the man was African American because the robber came very close to him, and Splitt could clearly see, under the lights of the store, the robber’s exposed eyes, nose, lips, and hands.   Splitt estimated the robber’s height at around five feet seven or five feet eight inches.   Splitt testified that the robber was moving very quickly and that, before he left the store, he forced Splitt to get down onto the floor behind the counter.   Splitt noted that it was very dark outside and “drizzling,” but when he got up and looked out of the front window, he testified that he could see the robber running across the street, away from the store.

The second robbery occurred on 22 January 1998 around 7:40 p.m. Splitt again described the weather as dark and drizzling.   Splitt testified that an African American man wearing dark clothing, including a dark blue hood, entered the store and asked Splitt for a pack of cigarettes.   Splitt stated that as he turned his back on the man to retrieve the cigarettes, he thought he recognized the voice as the robber from two days before.   When Splitt turned back around, the man was splashing gasoline onto the grocery counter from a two-liter soda bottle.   The gasoline soaked Splitt’s clothing and splashed onto the cash register.   Splitt testified that the robber repeated his demand for money and pulled out a cigarette lighter, threatening to ignite the gasoline.   Splitt recounted that he recognized not only the robber’s voice, but also his eyes and face, visible under the hood.   After Splitt gave him the money, he watched as the robber quickly exited and ran across the street away from the store in the same direction as the first robber.   The day after this encounter, Splitt reported both of the robberies to the Davie County Sheriff’s Department.

On 3 February 1998, Splitt reviewed the Department’s mug shot book but was unable to identify the robber out of several thousand photos.   Defendant’s picture was not in the mug shot book at that time.   A few hours after Brown was stabbed on 6 March 1998, a detective contacted Splitt and told him that he had a suspect in custody for a robbery that had occurred that morning.   Splitt was invited to come to the magistrate’s office to look at a photograph of defendant, the suspect.   Splitt was shown a single photograph of defendant, and Splitt identified defendant as the man he believed had robbed his store on two previous occasions.


Leave a Reply

Back to top